Thursday, April 5, 2012

My New Toy For Playing In The Sun

     I have mentioned before that I love a bargain!  I have been researching Solar Sun Ovens for a few months now.  In PNG, the LP gas is quite expensive and I was looking for ways to save money on the cooking bill without giving up cooking whole chickens, breads, casseroles, etc and using up all the gas to cook these foods.  These ovens are quite expensive (well, at least to me they are since it's "just a box"!)  I tried bidding on Ebay a few times for one, but I am always out bid.  I got the bright idea of calling up Sun Ovens International, Inc.  I explained that I wanted to take one to Papua New Guinea, a third world country, and use it there.  I asked if they would be willing to give me a discount for taking one to the tropics.  I figured, it can't hurt to ask!  The manager reduced the price for me by about $100.00!  I was so excited!  Now, if you buy it direct through their company site you will pay more for the oven than just buying through an authorized dealer.  But, I still came away with an amazing deal!
Unpacking the oven!

     I was thrilled when UPS rang the doorbell (I love UPS!) and delivered my new toy!  I was going to try it out right away, but the Spring rain has kept me from testing it out, until today!  Most people know that PNG is a rain forest and might be wondering how I will be able to use it with all the rain they receive.  Well, where we will be living it usually shines bright in the morning and afternoon...and then around 3:00 pm the rains come.  You can use it on cloudy days, partially cloudy, and with wispy clouds.  Sounds fun, huh?

     You can make almost anything in it, except for fried foods...but, I really don't need fried food!  I bought special little dark pans and pots to fit in it.  I also bought special dehydrating racks. That will save another eight or more hours on the electricity bill not running a dehydrating machine!  Another awesome savings!  Hmm...thinking of all the other possibilities of solar panels and solar equipment!

     I gathered up my two youngest boys and we did a lesson on Solar cooking today.  Check out the process!   It was 42* outside and slightly breezy with scattered clouds.

Toll house chocolate chip cookies
Gather ingredients!
Get your self a crazy cowboy helper (notice the bolo tie with no collared shirt?)

Mix all the ingredients thoroughly!

Set up your oven
Position it pointing into the sun...checking for shadows!

Oven is preheated...Put in your cookies

Yum!  Can't wait!

Almost done...oven temp is 350*

Applause!
 Perfect cookies!
  Slightly crunchy on the outside and still  soft and delicious in the middle!

Gather tasters!  Gabe and Spencer!

Taste tester #3...Delana...she liked it!

Taste tester #4, Hadley (its her first chocolate chip cookie!)
     This is a fun oven to use!  Everyone enjoyed the treat and I only used a small amount of electricity for mixing!  How cool is that!   I'm happy to know it works.  Now, I am really looking forward to creating some delicious meals in the jungles of PNG!  

10 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great idea! I had never heard of those ovens before. Cute pic of Hadley, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is awesome! Yes, Hadley is getting cute and she makes the cutest scrunched up faces as well.

      Delete
  2. I never heard of one either! That is crazy. I really thought it wouldn't work until I saw the results :)That little box can cook without electricity...people amaze me with what they can come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed too! My mom is the one who told me about them from a friend of hers. I was skeptical too, but I figured since someone else had tried it, it was worth a shot!

      Delete
  3. Ah. That's cool!
    I never would have thought...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! P.S. I am your newest follower. Just read your posts. So convicted by the one on belongings. Thank you so much! So happy for you and this oveny-ish thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you for reading my blog and following us along on our adventure!

      Delete