Sunday, April 15, 2012

Post from Wes

 Triceratops
   
I recently visited a remote camp site called "Triceratops".  At this camp they do mining, drilling, and exploration with just under 200 workers composed of expats (that is what I am called...an expatriate who leaves his homeland to work in a foreign country) and nationals.  The nationals have a hard time pronouncing the letter "c" so this camp is referred to as "Tango2".  Using the NATO phonetic alphabet...Tango for the letter "T" and the number 2 comes from the two T's in Triceratops.  I think its fun to hear them try and say it!


                                                                                                                                                    This picture to the left was a beautiful scenic shot with a sheer cliff and a waterfall.  The waterfall goes all the way through the stone and it comes out of the rock at the base and spills into the river.   When you are flying in a new area for the first time it is good practice to fly along the route of the river.  So, when  the bad weather strikes and the clouds diminish visibility you will know the path to fly.  
Camp Herisu
This past week I also visited another drilling/exploration camp to fill in for a guy.  This place was located near Kerema, which is in the coastal region.  The weather is quite humid and warm!  I am usually stationed in the highlands where the weather is a little cooler.  At this camp they were getting ready to go find another spot to drill.  The helicopter carries the explosives via long line through the jungle to a spot that has been pre-drilled.  The explosive is lowered through the trees to a guy who then helps lower it into the hole.


Sensor probes are placed all around the area.  When the explosive detonates the sensors sense the oil movement and then they know exactly where to put the new drilling rig.  Amazing!  Its slightly more complicated than my explanation, but you get the point! In the picture below the sensors are being laid out and getting ready to be put to use.  I liked how they called it a bomb in the photo above.


Along with all the sensors comes many extension cords!  I have never seen that many at one time.


     During my off time I was able to take in all the local wildlife.  There were many, many parrots down here.  I bought a red parrot (the female to the green male) for my nephew Torrey for taking care of my cockatoo while I am at work and since it was his birthday.  That was fun!

    I also got to see some unique colored turtles with a rust colored tummy and rust color on the trim of its shell.  These little guys are considered a delicacy.  Yum, its whats for dinner!

I stayed in a tent while here.  The tents are wooden frames with plastic walls.  Inside those structures are 2-4 man tents.  This helps to protect against the rain and pesky mosquitoes, which are prolific here!  Malaria is quite common.  I got Malaria when I was 13 while living in PNG many years ago, but you still need to take precautions against a flare up or new cases!

Not my picture, just told to watch out!
     In the swampy grasslands lives the Black Papuan, a deadly venomous snake.  I was warned that they are out there and to be careful.


I saw this cool looking tree on my hike into the jungle where the explosives are seperatly located. (No they don't keep the bombs in the camp.) This area had hundreds of parrots flying around, It is amazing how many different kinds there are! All sorts of colors!
The river headed straight into the ocean.  There are many crocodiles down there.  I know I will eventually get to see one, just like I used to see the alligators in the Louisiana gulf swamps.  I really enjoy my job and thank the Lord for giving me an adventurous career.    ~~Wes Wells

2 comments:

  1. I loved seeing these pictures of your life over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stories and pictures! Thanks for keeping us filled in on all your activities!

    ReplyDelete